Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When Things Finally Start Going Your Way

When things finally start to go my way, I always feel like I shouldn't tell anyone because I just might jinx it. 
Against all my better judgement, I will share with you my good news.
As of Monday morning I became 'Green', as in the US Immigration Services granted me my Green Card.
Two years later. 
Thank you.
I am pretty sure they can't take it away from me at this point, but no wait.
Silly me, now I remember reading the fine print. 
It said "You are still not American, so we reserve the right to do whatever the hell we like."
Right. Got it. Thank you. I won't forget this time.

Jest aside, I am very grateful for this opportunity, and even more grateful that this process is drawing to a close.
After all the hoopla and working myself up about the Embassy Interview, not to mention working up all my family and friends about the whole thing, it all felt very anti-climactic. A friend of mine actually cried real tears when she heard the results. I on the other hand felt like I just finished watching a long anticipated film that turned out to be nothing special. Sort of like the new Star Wars episodes. 

I don't feel like running through every detail of the day.
I've been living 'details' for the last 9 months and I think I am becoming either tired or bored of them. Possibly both. 
Sign this. Date that. Reread. Copy. Understand. Reformat. Send. Attach. Don't smile. And pay, pay, pay.
Here, instead, is my short version of Monday mornings US Embassy Meeting, which I think is just as good and gets the point across well enough.

1. 7:30am Embassy doors open.
2. Airport style security in the lobby of an inconspicuous building.
3. First in line.
4. Alone in the large waiting room on the top floor of inconspicuous building.
5. Feeling like all of a sudden I am in the Matrix.
6. Called to the desk.
7. Collection of documents.
8. Told to wait. 
9. While waiting, watch poor Indian man being belittled by dominatrix immigration official. 
9a. Thank God I didn't end up with Dominatrix Lady.
10. Futuristic finger print taking with futuristic fingerprint taking device.
11. Lots more waiting.
12. Raise right hand and swear to God you are not a terrorist.
13. Show us the money!
14. Tsk, tsk. Shame on you for visiting your husband too much.
15. Approved!

My tension levels were up and down throughout the whole morning. 
I walked in there believing I wouldn't be approved. 
Then I got very confident. 
Then I saw Indian Man get shut-down by Dominatrix Lady and the confidence levels became more realistic (ie. lower).
Finally, when I was being interviewed any self-assurance I had left hit the floor. Seconds later I was approved.
What a mind-job. 
Thankfully the staff at the embassy were professional and kind (at least the people I dealt with were). 
It was nothing like dealing with customs officials at the border.

Now I have a little bit of waiting to do before I fly home to my nutrient starved husband.
Apparently he is on a high-gluten diet.
Pizza and beer. 
I'm almost positive that there hasn't been anything green in the house for weeks. 
Just wait t'ill I get home to him. Not only will I have a 'Green' Card, but fresh veggies will once again prevail!
And also, I can finally get cracking on that intestinal cleanse i've always wanted to do.
I bet he just can't wait.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've stopped eating pizza. I now just drink beer.

The Industrious Ant said...

Phew, well that's a relief!
God knows there is just too much Calcium in those pizzas.

rbro said...

What a mindjob is a Matrix quote right? Well played ant, well played.