Thursday, April 16, 2009

Examine This!

If you ever want to know what it feels like to be put through a bureaucratic meat grinder, just try immigrating to the US and then at the same time apply for a job in Japan.

Today mom and I drove into Toronto for my 3rd doctor's appointment in less than one month.
#1 was for a tetanus booster required by the US government.
#2 was again for the US government, proving I was void of all plagues and infestations.
#3 was for the Japanese government, also reassuring them that I'm clean as a whistle and that my body is in fact pneumonia-SARS-madcow free.
It crossed my mind that maybe I should have just asked Japan to talk to America, cause America already did this whole health inspection routine thing already, and it would save me time, Canada money and we'd all live happily ever after.
But no, it doesn't really work like that, does it. I admit, the idea of two world power's actually sharing practical information with each other almost borders on the absurd.

Most of my Japan Health Exam is over with, but there are a couple loose ends to tie up. I have yet another trip to the doctor next week. I have to get a urine sample analyzed. 
I will also have to do something about my pulse rate because the doctor forgot to note it down on my health form. This, I only figured out after driving the 1.5 hours back to Peterborough. Against my not-so better judgement to take my own pulse and fill in the blank, I plan on calling her tomorrow and somehow remedying this situation. I may have to make another trip back for her to put her fingers on my wrist and tell me that yes, I'm still alive. 

In the meantime, while I wait for just the right opportunity to pee into a tiny little cup (whose tiny size guarantee's I will almost certainly get most of my urine on my hand, and not in the cup), me and the parental units are headed to Montreal with the huge x-ray of my chest to show to staff at the US Consulate. Of course, that's not the only thing they will want to see from me, but it's far more interesting than all the other official documents and proofs of marriage I have to deliver.

So if you believe in prayer, pray for me this weekend, because Monday I'll be sitting in the most important interview of my life thus far, and it's going to take a lot more than just a cool chest x-ray to get me through it successfully.

No comments: