Sunday, April 12, 2009

When I Grow Up I Want to Be Ken Tanaka

So the big news is in! 
After much begging, Japan has graciously granted me a position as an assistant teacher. 
Possibly they are taking pity on North Americans who have degree's but can't find employment in their own home country.
Whatever their reasons, both Matthew and I are excited and looking forward to once again being foreigners in a strange land. 
But so many details have yet to be worked out. 
MORE paper-work filed, packages mailed, passports stamped, money spent. Oy Vay! 
The paper pushers are going to love us! And the red tape has already begun.
Apparently there is some law in Japan that states you can't import more than 1 months supply of medication or prescription drugs. Contact lenses and birth control are included in this requirement. 
But of course, there is a detailed form we can fill out to the Japanese Embassy, and likely a fee that we can pay to clear customs. 
I'm not surprised. In fact, I'm incredibly not surprised. 
Two years dealing with two separate governments and their bureaucratic junk has left me numb to anything short of aliens landing in my backyard.

In any case, in celebration of our recent acceptance into the JET Program, I thought I would introduce you to Ken Tanaka, as it a small dream of mine to meet this Japanese legend. His insight into Japanese culture is indeed inspiring.



No comments: