Sunday, December 21, 2008

Stupid Cold is Right!

I am slowly turning into a pile of dust.
My skin is beyond dry. I need one of those special pack sacks that carry only water...the one that has a tube running from it straight into my mouth. 
This death-by-skin-dehydration is pretty common for me during the cold months, but this year it's so much worse. My body must think that since I spent last winter on a beach, this year I deserve twice the cracked and flaking skin. 
I forgot how much winter sucks. 
The daily degradation of my skin paired up with the lack of insulation in our 100 year old apartment and the suspense built around wether or not Matt's car will start every morning, is a very cruel reminder.
I don't think Matthew will ever let us live in the midwest another winter. He's practically filling out the paperwork himself to make me a permanent resident of India, which apparently I can do because of my genetics. One passport at a time my friend! I haven't even got my US Green Card yet.

For those of you that are interested, the Green Card thing is still keeping us in a tight holding pattern. 
Nothing will move forward until I get my Police Check in from the RCMP. When that finally arrives (God Knows When!) then it will be about another month until I have an interview with at the American Embassy in Montreal.
This waiting game we constantly play with various government offices is tortuous. 
I'm convinced that the system is set up this way, with endless wait times for documents, cryptic instructions on how to fill in your application forms, and expensive fees, purposefully to deter people who are either not determined enough to go through with this demented process or who are too poor to afford an immigration lawyer. 
We are close though. I can feel it. And even though we have no lawyers, and we have no money, soon I'll have a Green Card that will let me work in a country that apparently has no jobs...and THEN...THEN it will all be worth it!
Yeah for me.

No comments: